Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Goin Old School

This last weekend a group of girlfriends and I got together and had an old school quilting bee! So much fun! This is actually the 2nd time we have done this, the first time was almost exactly four years ago. We get together, chat, have some tasty snacks and we make quilts. From scratch! The point of these get-togethers is to make quilts for Project Linus, which gives the quilts to kids in need. There are a few of us, though, who have made the quilts for our own children instead, or for friends who are having babies. Our first quilting bee happened to come just a few months after I had Logan, and this one came when Coley is 15 months old. But I have actually been waiting for this bee because I knew I wanted to make a quilt for Coley. They turn out so adorable! And what a wonderful way to spend an afternoon: chatting with amazing ladies and making beautiful blankets for little sweeties!
Just a VERY small sampling of the fabric we had to choose from. Larraine is the woman who originally came up with this idea, and she has enough fabric (and know-how) to seriously open a sewing shop! She made available all of her fabric, supplies, and expertise for us to do this great project.

Choices, choices...

Lovely Linda, displaying her choices of fabric. One is for the top, and one is the backing. We put a filler in between, stitch the edges, and tie the middle. They are all so colorful!
Liz got fancy and added extra panels in the quilt she made for her son, Sean. Sean is about 5 weeks younger than Coley, and they have been betrothed since they were in their respective wombs! They are both tough kids, so I really think they were made for each other!
Kara working hard on a quilt to donate.

Coley's quilt - the tie dye is the top, and the orange check is a cozy flannel backing. I will try and get a pic of the kids' two quilts together as soon as I finish Coley's (I had to leave the bee early, so I still have to finish tying it off). Logan is still SO attached to his special quilt that I made him, it will definitely be a keepsake long after it leaves his bed; I hope Coley loves hers just as much!

No comments:

Post a Comment