Monday, March 22, 2010

Change of Plans!

So, I actually had it all planned out today. For once! I went to a fun and fabulous quilting bee with some of my amazing friends this afternoon, and I planned to share it all with you in a post here tonight. I even took photos! It was so much fun! Then, the plans changed. I ended up having to take Logan to the ER for a possible concussion. So a quick note about THAT fun experience, and then off to get some rest for me!

Larry and I have been attending this 4-week class series about Parenthood in a Biblical context. It has actually been very good, and I will be posting about it after our fourth and final week. During class there is childcare available for our kiddos, so we all go together, the kids play, it's all a good deal. When we went to pick up Logan tonight, his Childcare Provider (who also happens to be his preschool teacher) told us that when the kids were out on the playground, Logan walked straight into a girl who was on the swing and basically they bashed faces at a high velocity. Apparently Logan popped right back up and was fine, the girl split her lip and needed some ice. Logan seemed perfectly normal though. Then on the drive home he seemed SUPER tired and started complaining of a bad headache. I figured he just had a bump on the head. We pulled in to the driveway, and Logan all of a sudden starts throwing up in the backseat. Nasty! I jump back there, get him out of his booster, he gets sick the whole time as I am getting him out of the car. He finally seems ok for a few minutes so I bring him into the bathroom and have him get undressed while I go back and grab Coley out of the (now very stinky) car. Plop Coley in the playpen and back to Logan. Give him a super quick bath and realize: "Head injury...headache...vomiting... possible concussion!" Call Larry (who has gone to pick up a pizza for dinner and was supposed to meet us at home), he hightails it home to stay with Coley while I take Logan to the ER. Get him there, see the Doc, get him all checked out. His neurological tests are great, he's still tired, but hasn't vomited anymore so all seems ok. We get discharged with instructions to keep a close eye on him, follow up with our regular Doc, and a list of what to look out for. Thankfully, he seems much better and is expected to be just fine and back to normal very soon.

What I really wanted to mention about this whole experience, was how touched and wonderful it was to have the help and care of a few friends through tonight's adventure. When we arrived at the ER, we sat in the chairs to wait to be seen, and after just a couple of minutes a friend of mine (whom I had forgotten was an ER Nurse at this hospital) came out and motioned for us to come on back. Now, I'm not sure if she let us cut in front of other people, or if we would have gotten in that quickly anyway, but I think we may have been rushed through a little bit because of her. She brought us back, asked what happened, got Logan weighed and into a room, and introduced us to our Nurse. Even if we had gotten no special treatment at all, it was still so comforting to see a familiar face in that situation, and I am so thankful to her!

Then, as we were talking with the Doc, we got a visitor! A nurse brought back Jim to see us. Jim is the "teacher" or facilitator of the Parenthood class that we were in when Logan got hurt. Jim works at the Church where we take that class, and we also see him around there because Logan goes to preschool at that Church and we go to a Playgroup there as well. So Jim, although not a close friend, is definitely a familiar face to our family. So I was so surprised to see him come and visit us in the ER! Apparently, Larry had called the Childcare Provider to get the details of Logan's playground accident; she called Jim to let him know what happened, and Jim rushed over to the hospital to see if Logan was alright. He checked on me and Logan, made sure we knew that the Church would be there to help us in any way they could, and let us know that he and his family and the Church family would be praying for Logan. His care for our family truly touched me, and I am so grateful to him for that; it meant so much to me.

I am deeply thankful for the help and care we were shown tonight in our little ER adventure; it really does amaze me how giving our community of friends is and how lucky my family is! And thank goodness that Logan is doing well! He is sleeping now, we'll have to wake him every few hours tonight to check on him, but he is expected to be back to normal in no time.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment