Thursday, February 18, 2010

And then the party



We do not let our kids watch a lot of tv. Logan never saw tv until he was 2. Coley, not so much, but she is the 2nd child and we are a little more lax now... but that is for another day. Anyway... about 2 years ago when tv was still new to Logan, we let him watch the Summer Olympics. And, like any red-blooded American male, what was his favorite event? Of course: Women's Beach Volleyball. Even at the tender age of two, he knew where it was at. We tried to get him to watch the Men's Beach Volleyball, but he wasn't having it. We recorded the Gold Medal Match between USA and China and believe me, we watched this match daily for weeks and weeks. Logan became Misty May's biggest little fan. Everytime I wore a headband for months, he said I looked like Misty May (I wish). And every time he had something that even remotely resembled an American flag, he would run around waving it in the air, yelling, "I'm Misty May, I'm Misty May!"

But I digress. My point is, Logan fell in love with the Olympics. Fast forward 2 years, and it is time for the Winter Olympics. We KNOW he is going to love this. Not only the pomp and circumstance of the Olympics, but the Winter Olympics has skiing, snow boarding, ski jumps, twirls and jumps of ice skating... truly a little boy's dream. His birthday is the 10th, the games start the 12th, and his party is the 13th. Perfect timing. We plan an Olympic-themed 4th Birthday Party.

Start by making "Athlete Passes" for the invitations; each one had a kid's name on it and I strung them on ribbon to wear as lanyards. The backs had all the party details for the parents.

At the party each kid picked a sticker with a country's flag on it, so they would represent that country. I think Logan was Switzerland.

Then the games... a Hockey Shoot Out of course (we already had the mini goals and sticks, just had to tape down lines on the floor to shoot from). Ski Moguls were a fun suggestion from a friend who is an Elementary P.E. Teacher (hop along the floor from mat to mat, with a special place to do a "trick" like a spin move or a kick-jump). And the Ice Skating Course was a hit, too ("Skate" along the floor to stations where you jump 3 times in the air, do a spin jump, balance on one leg for 3 seconds, and do 2 spins). I had an Olympic Torch race planned, but it was wet out, and I didn't really want 9 4-year-olds running through my house, all at the same time.



And then the food; Logan chose it all and then I just gave everything Olympic-sounding names: Alpine Apple Dip, Fruit Bobsleds, Pizza Pucks, and Barrel Rolls (Pigs in a Blanket). Then we ordered an ice cream cake, decorated with Snow Boarders.



All-in-all, I think the party was a big hit. I know Logan had a great time, I think his friends all had fun, and I am down with anything that keeps the kids happy and tires them out at the same time!

No comments:

Post a Comment